Sunday, January 5, 2014

What next?

This is a question we both have been asking ourselves over and over again.  What next?  Do we try again? Do we go through treatment again? Do we see if my body does its thing on its own?

These are all questions we asked at our last appointment.  What next?  What does the Dr recommend?  Through all of this, I had been moved from midwife to midwife, and hadn't seen the same one twice.  So at this appointment we met with Jennifer.  Jennifer had gone through IF treatment herself to have each of her 3 children, and I instantly put all of my trust in her hands.  For some reason I didn't care what was medically correct in what to do next.  She was someone who would know and understand what we had just gone through, and we both felt that she would give us her thoughts on what to do next.  Even if it wasn't what she needed to tell us as a medical perspective.  She told us that medically they say to have at least 1 cycle before trying again.  But with my history, I do not have any sort of cycle.  So this was a mute point for me.  I told her that I was willing to try again.  Wanted to put this loss past us, and move forward.  Turn the page and wake up tomorrow feeling renewed and ready to move on.

Then she asked us the question I never would've thought of myself.  "If you were to get pregnant again right away, could you mentally handle it?"  My response, "yes."  "Now, if you were to get pregnant immediately and then lose the child again, could you mentally handle it?"  Someday and I: "Not a chance."

There it was. Decision made.  No proceeding with treatment. No jumping right back in.  Another loss just wouldn't be good.  We just can't handle it.

Sometimes Dr's can give more than just giving medicinal advice.  They can also meet the mental needs too.

No comments:

Post a Comment