Thursday, March 6, 2014

PCOS Diet

There is so much conflicting research out there as to how someone should handle PCOS.  Most Dr's put a woman on birth control to give her regular cycles, and it ends at that.  Others go months or even years without a period.  Some get on medication to help their bodies get cycles, but it doesn't always mean ovulation or getting pregnant.

So what am I choosing?  Option D? PCOS Diet.  This was brought up to my Dr not too long after I was diagnosed.  His response?  "You aren't overweight, so it wouldn't help you."  My thoughts? Why not give it a shot?
The PCOS diet isn't easy. It isn't for the faint of heart, but we want children and fertility treatments are not covered by our insurance.  Nor is testing, seeing a Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE), blood draws, ultrasounds, medications, or monitoring.  So we would be 100% out of pocket again, if we choose to do another round of medication.  Something we just aren't up for financially at this time.  So that's when I started looking into other options, and came upon the PCOS diet.

It consists of a mix between Gluten Free and a Diabetics diet.  Low sugar, minimal carbs, nothing with gluten,  no alcohol, and low amounts of dairy.  But I can eat as much veggies, rice, and protein as I want.

Another thing I took into account was my original diet.  At one point in my life I weighed 45 pounds more than I do now.  It's been almost 7 years since losing the weight, but since then I've yo-yo'd my way between 60lbs of weight loss and 20lbs lost.  So I set up with a dietician to take a look at what I'm doing with my PCOS diet and what she recommends.  After her looking at my food diary from the past couple of months, she noticed that I usually do a 1,200 calorie diet.  I'm also an avid runner, and am currently training for a half marathon.  The first thing she asked me was, "how long have you been doing a 1,200 calorie diet?"  Um, off and on for the past 3 years.  Pretty much since we got engaged.
Then the lightbulb went off in her head.  My body is starving.  Which could be causing my reproductive organs to shut down.  My first response to her was that I'm not thin.  Not by any means.  There's still plenty of fat and chub to share.  She explained to me that it didn't matter what my weight was.  I could weigh 200 pounds.  My body isn't getting enough nutrients that it needs to function fully.
So now it's no more 1,200 calorie diet, and is an 1,800 calorie diet (more when I workout, which is 5-6 days/week).  1,800 calories of PCOS friendly foods.

Hello Gluten Free, Good-bye carbs and sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment