Friday, August 23, 2013

What is my body doing?

For a "normal" woman, you have around a 28 day cycle (give or take a few days).  So at the beginning of October I discontinued the use of birth control, and my body decided to be "normal."  I had not begun the temping yet, because S wasn't too sure he understood it fully and was sort of afraid of it (along with the chances of conception).  But with a 28 day cycle I was hopeful that my body was going to be "normal" and it was just the birth control that was making it all weird the past 5 years.

The Dr. had also pre-warned me that it could take up to a year for my body to get back to normal after getting off hormonal BC. So I was happy and excited that it was already leveled out.

Then November came.....no period.  December came.....no period.  At this point S and I were freaking out.  Are we pregnant? Are we not?  Every test was negative, and after 40 days of no period, I called my Dr (along with consulting Dr Google, yeah, bad idea). She told me that it's possible my body is trying to regulate itself from the pill, and to continue taking a pregnancy test once a week until it's positive or until my period comes.  After 50 grueling days of wondering whether to drink when out with friends, or not to drink, that b*tch of a woman (aunt flow) showed. Never in my 25 years of life, have I ever been so happy to get a period.

Now, let's get to the rest of December along with January.  Oh guess what. Another cycle with numerous pregnancy tests, decisions on whether to drink or not drink with friends, and wondering what is going on with my body. At this point S and I just wanted some answers. Why? Why is my body taking forever to get a period?  Why do I have to take a pregnancy test once a week after 28 days, even if we've been using other methods the entire time?  Then you talk with a few friends about it, and they all think you're pregnant and give you the side-eye every time you have a sip of wine.  Or ask you if you're pregnant every time they see you.  That cycle finally ended after 51 days.

That was enough! We wanted some answers, and to no longer be worrying about what is going on.  We know it's not normal for a women of child-bearing age to have 50+ day cycles, and honestly, taking pregnancy tests once a week was wreaking havoc on S & M's emotions.


No comments:

Post a Comment