Monday, September 2, 2013

Diagnosis

So you are now up to speed with what my body is doing, and how we picked out the Dr.  Now onto the diagnosis.
The Dr had prescribed me a medicine called Provera that will force my period to come. Then on the 3rd  day of my period I was to get some blood drawn.  Now, for many of you women out there you realize that this could be a bit interesting. #1 you never know when Aunt Flow is going to grace you with her presence.  #2 most Dr's offices only do lab work M-F. #3 I would now have to give my work 2 days notice about a Dr's appointment since it would be during work hours.
Mind you, I work in a very small office and everyone knows everybody's business.  You say you have a Dr's appointment, then you play 20 questions...."Is everything okay? Are you alright? Is there something you aren't telling us? If you need anything please tell us."  So, AF came on a Sunday, which meant I had to go in on Tuesday to get the tests done. It also meant telling my boss on Monday that I would be coming into work late on Tuesday (due to fasting before the blood draw).
So yeah, 7 viles of blood later, the testing was done.
A week later, it was time to go in and go over the results. Like many Dr's, if the results come back okay, then will have a nurse call you and let you know everything was clear.  If it doesn't, then they call to say the results are in and you have to go in to discuss the results.  Of course, that was the case with me.
The diagnosis: High testosterone level = PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome).
Here's the Wikipedia description:The principal features are (1) anovulation, resulting in irregular menstruationamenorrhea, ovulation-related infertility; (2) excessive amounts or effects of androgenic (masculinizing) hormones, resulting in acne and hirsutism; and (3) insulin resistance, often associated with obesityType 2 diabetes, and high cholesterol levels.

Sounds fun, right? Acne, male hormones, obesity. Great.  With a side of no period and infertility.

No comments:

Post a Comment