Friday, September 13, 2013

Next!

So now is when I'm going to begin jumping around a bit, and quickly get you up to speed.
In May, the diagnosis happened, we said screw it to fully preventing (which we weren't really doing very well anyways), and we decided to let things happen.

In July we decided to have a consultation with the Dr. The 2 of us. This way we could both see what he had to say about my "issues" and answer any questions we both had.  He explained to S and I that it would take us 3-5 years to conceive a child at the rate my body was going at, and that he couldn't guarantee that in that timeframe we would even be able to conceive a child.  It all depended on whether my body decided to work or not.

So I did some research on how to "naturally" regulate my body with PCOS.  Upon my research, there was a diet called the PCOS diet.  Now I was really interested in this, because meds weren't necessarily the direction we wanted to go yet. So why not. I'll give it a shot.  Much to our surprise, it worked during a 90 day cycle. After 72 days of no period, I ovulated.  Our timing with sex was pretty much spot on, and we were hopeful that this could be our shot.  But of course, then Aunt Flow made her presence.  It just HAD to be while we were on vacation too.

Then we were back to square 1 again.  When we met with the Dr in July, he gave me a prescription to Provera to force my period to come, along with a prescription for Clomid. That way we could try a medicated cycle if we wanted to.  He also ordered that I come in during day 3 of my period to get an ultrasound done to see how bad the cysts were on my ovaries.

Well as you read, the cycle I had where we actually had a fair shot to have a child. It was a dud, didn't happen, done.  Of course, we were on vacation when AF came, so I wasn't able to get the ultrasound done, and we didn't want to begin the Clomid prescription without the ultrasound.  So another cycle down the drain.......
After 32 days AF came.  The negative part to this is that it meant I didn't ovulate, and we had no chance to conceive a child.  The positive part was that it meant I could get the ultrasound done, and we had finally decided to give the Clomid 1 shot.

Now, we both were not sure about doing Clomid.  It is a very harsh drug that has a lot of side affects, and if not watched properly, it can cause problems.  But we wanted to give it one chance. See if my body reacts to the medication, and if we can conceive a child while on it.  It also has a higher chance of multiples, but we know that's an issue we are going to face through our journey.

So in September I finally had a period, got the ultrasound done, and began the Clomid.  Of course the ultrasound proved the cysts on my ovaries, and the Dr just asked me how the side affects of the Clomid were.  My response, "Um, so this is the hot flashes women go through at menopause? Because these suck!"  The next set of instructions were to take Ovulation Prediction Tests (OPK's) and time sex accordingly.  Ugh, timing sex. That part sucks. No matter whether you are trying for a child or not.  The minute you put a "purpose" to sex, it is not longer fun. Plain and simple.  This is also something that I never ever wanted.  I had always told S that I never wanted to feel like we HAD to have sex for a purpose.  I just wanted to do it whenever, and if we happened to get pregnant then great. If we didn't, oh well.

Now you're pretty well up to speed.  From this point on it will be further updates and more feelings and emotions during our journey.

So buckle your seatbelt, because this may be a bumpy ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment